On March 4, UTLA will join education unions and the higher education community throughout Southern California for a statewide day of action to protest cuts to education and vital community services and to demand the state legislature implement progressive tax measures.
UTLA has helped launch a Southern California Public Education Coalition, representing K-12 locals, community college faculty and students and UC faculty and staff to build support across all sectors of the public education community for the March 4 actions as well as building support more broadly for public education.
MARCH 4TH ACTIONS FOR UTLA MEMBERS
- BEFORE SCHOOL
On March 4, UTLA members hand out informational flyers to parents
(in English) (in Spanish)
- AFTER SCHOOL
UTLA members are encouraged to attend one of four afterschool rallies at the following locations:
Downtown Los Angeles location
4:00 pm (Gather at 5th and Hill by Pershing Square)
4:30 pm-6:00 pm (March and rally at Reagan State Building-300 South Spring Street)
4:30 pm-5:30 pm ( Rally at Bruin Plaza)
San Fernando Valley location (Cal State Northridge)
3:45 pm ( Gather in the quad)
4:15 pm (March around CSUN)
5pm-5:30 pm (Unity action and rally at CSUN quad)
Long Beach rally location
4:15 pm (Gather and rally at Wilson High School gymnasium- 4400 East 10th Street, Long Beach)
- Get involved in the March 5th "March to Sacramento"
- Contact your union representative and attend local area meetings about how you can help March 4
- Talk to your neighbors and family
- Contact your local school board, Board of Trustees, UC Regents
- Call and email your state legislators; tell them to close tax loopholes not schools, colleges, universities, fire stations, and health clinics!
DID YOU KNOW?
- The top 1% of wealth holders owns 34% of the wealth.
- In 1993 the highest personal tax bracket in California was
11% of income.
Today it is 9.3%.
- Tax rates for corporations are also lower than they used to be. In 1980 California corporations
contributed nearly 15% of the state budget; today they pay only 11%! By closing all corporate tax loopholes we could raise an estimated $16 billion per year or more!
The Southern California Public Education Coalition consists of:
- United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA),
- Alhambra Teachers Association (ATA),
- Community College Association, Community College Faculty and Staff Guilds,
- California Faculty Association (CFA),
- California Federation of Teachers (CFT),
- California Teachers Association (CTA),
- Inglewood Teachers Association (ITA),
- Teachers Association of Long Beach (TALB),
- Academic Professionals of California (APC)
- California State University Employees Association (CSUEU)