This committee serves as the representative body for those certificated employees of LAUSD who have retired. They:
- Work through UTLA to improve the welfare of public education and retired teachers.
- Secure for retired teachers their deserved status among America's professionals.
- Provide a vehicle for unified action in concert with other organizations to represent and monitor concerns of retired teachers.
UTLA-R Meeting Times & Location
The UTLA-R Steering Committee meets the same day as the UTLA House of Representatives at 1:30 p.m. in Room 816. The UTLA-R General Assembly meets four Friday mornings each year in the second floor auditorium of the UTLA Building.
A calendar list of retired committee meetings (*click on the List button to view list)
UTLA-Retired Member Benefits
Membership in UTLA-R brings you continued:
- Mailing of the monthly United Teacher newspaper,
- Benefits from your UTLA Membership Card,
- Representation in the UTLA Board of Directors and the UTLA House of Representatives, and
- Participation in UTLA-R elections and activities, political representation in Sacramento, and additional benefits.
There are also four UTLA-R General Assembly meetings each year for members to get updates and information on Health Benefits, STRS, and other important issues.
UTLA membership does not automatically continue into retirement. If you have not already done so, you should join UTLA-Retired at the very nominal investment of $2.38 per month deducted from your STRS pension.
Attn: Membership Department
3303 Wilshire Blvd., 12th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Membership Phone: 800.556.8852
Membership Fax: 213.637.5161
If you do not already receive UTLA-R News updates, please send an email to Bruce Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, look for the Retirees' Corner column in the United Teacher.
Retired Newsletter April-May 2017Download
Retired Newsletter February-March 2017Download
Retired Newsletter Dec. 2016-Jan. 2017 (corrects earlier version 012617)Download
Retired Newsletter October-November 2016Download
Retired Newsletter August-September 2016Download
Retired Newsletter June-July 2016Download
Retired Newsletter April-May 2016Download
Retired Newsletter Feb.-March 2016Download
Retired Newsletter Dec.-Jan. 2016Download
Contact UTLA-R Committee
Our officers and other Steering Committee members are unpaid and elected by the membership to represent you. Their job is to act on your concerns on the will of the membership. They are dedicated to improving retiree health benefits, protecting and improving state benefits and promoting the welfare of UTLA retirees.
- President: John Perez, Vpapabear46@aol.com
- Vice President: Cecelia Boskin, email@example.com
- Secretary: Mignon Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: Mike Dreebin, email@example.com
- Past President: Loretta Toggenburger, firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional UTLA-R Volunteers (not on UTLA-R Steering Committee)
- UTLA-R Email Messenger: Bruce Lee, email@example.com
- Historian: Iris Edinger
- General Assembly Meeting Refreshment Coordinator: Tomas Junge