June 1, 2017Negotiations
The Attendance Incentive Plan was suspended in the 2006-07 school year. UTLA and LAUSD agreed to end the AIP, and distribute all remaining payments now. Members who still had accumulated money in this program are receiving those funds in either May or June 2017.
This AIP check does not deduct CalSTRS contributions, nor does it add to one’s CalSTRS DBS Account.
Many of our Members received an Attendance Incentive Plan (AlP) paycheck last Friday, May 19,2017. Article XII-A of the CBA describes the plan.
The AlP was added to the UTLA-LAUSD CBA for the 1992-93 and 1993-94 years. It was designed to reward employees for limiting their own absences with a goal of improving instruction.
This AlP provided a formula designed for our Members to earn up to a $1,500 per year payment.
Issued Payments & Statements
- Half of this incentive was paid at the end of each fiscal year as a taxable wage for those who met the criteria.
- The other half of the incentive was placed in an interest bearing account, payable at time of separation of District service (this separation didn't require applying for retirement).
- The District sent out annual stating to employees, indicating the size of the account. These annual statements were halted in 2006.
The amount of each individual award is based on:
- The total number of illness days utilized.
- The number of unused illness days the employee held in his/her "Illness Bank" at the beginning of the school year.
- The total number of illness leave days that were reduced District-wide.
- These checks will range from less than $100 to over $10,000.
Article XII-A includes a penalty clause that deducts the total payout of the annuity if the employee utilizes more than 10 illness or personal necessity days in any ofthe employee's final three years with the District. In previous years, the AlP check was mailed to the employee about 3-4 months following resignation from the District.
UTLA and LAUSD agreed to suspend additional payments into the Attendance Incentive Plan beginning with the 2006-2007 school year. The annuity accounts have continued to earn interest.
UTLA and LAUSD agreed to end the AlP, and distribute all remaining payments now. The District agreed to waive the penalty clause referenced above.
All former employees who have not yet received the AlP payment will receive it by June 30,2017.
This AlP check does not deduct CaiSTRS contributions, nor does it add to one's CaiSTRS DBS Account.