Arlene Inouye was born and raised in Los Angeles and attended Los Angeles Unified Schools. Her grandparents emigrated from Japan to Boyle Heights, and her family was incarcerated during World War II. Three generations of her family have attended LAUSD schools.
She has a BA and MA in communicative disorders from Long Beach State University. She has been a Spanish bilingual speech and language specialist for over 18 years. Arlene has been a UTLA Officer for the past seven years.
As Treasurer, Arlene led UTLA through the “Build the Future Fund the Fight” that addressed UTLA’s structural deficit to provide greater support for members and organizational sustainability. And as UTLA Secretary, she has led the UTLA Bargaining Team through a historic strike and contract fight.
Through the years she has also been a community organizer, human rights activist, parent educator, multicultural and human relations specialist and leader in progressive educational reform.
Her experience as a union and community activist includes:
- UTLA Negotiations Team Co Chair
- UTLA Treasurer (2011-17)
- CFT Executive Council
- APALA (Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance) Executive Board
- CTA Negotiations Committee
- CTA Pacific Asian American Caucus, Secretary
- CTA State Council delegate
- NEA Representative Assembly delegate
- AFT and CFT Convention delegate
- UTLA House of Representatives member
- NEA Asian Pacific Islander Caucus, California Director
- CFT Education Committee member
- CTA Budget and Vendor Committee member
- Founder and Director of CAMS (Coalition for Alternatives to Militarism in our Schools)
- Family School Partnership Director
- LAUSD Parent Educator
- National Network Opposing the Militarism of Youth
- National Steering Committee
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
- Third World Coalition board member
- National Coalition of Education Activists (NCEA) Board member