UTLA/AFT Vice President
Juan Ramirez has 17 years’ teaching experience in kindergarten and grades second through fourth. He also taught adult education at the Wilson Lincoln Adult School for nine years.
His UTLA activism includes serving as:
- Chapter chair at Fishburn Elementary
- Bilingual Education Committee chair and co-chair
- South Area Steering Committee member
- UTLA House of Representatives member
- NEA Representative Assembly delegate
- CTA State Council delegate
- South Area director
- UTLA Elementary Vice President (2011 to present)
As AFT Vice President, he has worked with teachers, parents, and community members to counter Parent Revolution as well as standing up for teachers harassed by administrators and the District. He is the current vice president for the CFT’s Early Childhood/K-12 committee, which advocates for educators and students at the state level. As part of his commitment to working with the community, he has hosted a Spanish radio show and written for a Spanish-language newspaper.