Our full contract with LAUSD expires in June 2022. In full contract bargaining, we can bring forward any issues that we want to improve at LAUSD — pay, class size, student supports, and more. We want our bargaining team to be at the table with a full set of proposals and the full support of 34,000 UTLA members months well before our contract expires.
LAUSD is receiving an infusion of funding, including $4.7 billion in relief funding, which they have until 2025 to spend. This year, the district is planning to add $2.1 billion to its reserves, for a total of $4.8 billion in cash balance by the end of the 2021-22 school year.
An ambitious, democratically developed bargaining platform is how we fight to invest that money in the long-term needs of our schools and our students.
We have a three-step process to get organized and united before we make our first proposals:
1. Chapter Chairs are organizing member meetings in every school / chapter to collectively identify issues for negotiations while at the same time we will be holding town halls with parents and community organizations to get their input.
2. The UTLA Board of Directors will use that feedback to develop a draft bargaining platform.
3. All members will vote on the proposed bargaining platform before we start negotiations with LAUSD.
Chapter Issue ID Meetings
Chapter Chairs are organizing chapter meetings in every chapter to identify the issues that are most important for us to fight for collectively. Be sure to attend your chapter meetings and be ready to engage. What pay, benefit, and working condition issues should we fight to address in our contract campaign? What issues, if fixed, would make the biggest difference in improving teaching and/or learning at our chapter? What fights for school improvements do you believe are most broadly and deeply felt by parents, youth, and community?
Chapter Chairs should report back on discussions by October 22.
Ask a parent to the Reclaim Our Schools LA Town Halls in October
The community coalition Reclaim Our Schools LA is holding three town hall meetings for parents, students, educators and community leaders to talk about everyone’s vision for the future of Los Angeles schools as part of UTLA’s development of a bargaining platform. All UTLA educators are encouraged to attend and to invite parents at your school to join a town hall.
• October 16, 10 am to noon: South LA & Harbor (Board Districts 1 & 7)
• October 23, 10 am to noon: San Fernando Valley, West and East (Board Districts 3 & 6)
• October 30, 10 am to noon: East LA thru Mid-City, Hollywood, West LA (Board Districts 2, 4, & 5)