Welcome to your union UTLA, United Teachers Los Angeles. UTLA is an organization of educators that has the right to negotiate our salaries, benefits, and working conditions with our employer, LAUSD, as a group. Unlike non-union workplaces, we have a say in our compensation and working conditions. We are also part of a nation-wide movement of educators to improve education.
As a new educator in LAUSD, you may have seen some of the things we fought for and won in 2019. We also fought and won the best COVID safety standards in the country.
As a UTLA member you will be able to help develop our bargaining platforms and you will be able to vote to approve our contract to determine our working conditions, salary and more.
For our futures as educators we must stay united.
A strong union fights for the issues educators care about:
- Professional pay and secure healthcare and retirement
- Smaller class sizes and more staffing for our students
- Increasing school funding
- Building the Schools LA Students Deserve to strengthen our communities and attract families
- Improving working and learning conditions and defending professional rights
A weakened union opens the door to:
- Attacks on pensions and healthcare
- Stagnant wages: LAUSD pays what it wants
- School closures
- Increasingly aggressive privatization attacks
- No collective voice to address school issues or stand up for student learning
- Weakened political voice in critical School Board elections and in Sacramento and D.C.
Join your union today
Click the button below to establish your UTLA membership to access voting rights, Group Legal Services, professional development and discounts, and to join ten of thousands of educators advocating together for public education.
See breakdown of dues structure here