What does Janus mean to unions?
On June, 27, 2018, the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) issued a decision in Janus v. AFSCME Council 31, which challenged the constitutionality of fair share fees. Although SCOTUS had found fair share fees to be constitutional for the past 41 years, the court reversed itself and concluded that it is now unconstitutional to charge fair share fees to bargaining unit members who do not want to be union members.
UTLA MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
Choose from the two options below to reaffirm your UTLA membership to access voting rights, Group Legal Services, professional development and discounts. Commit to pay dues through payroll deduction, just like you are already doing.
TWO easy METHODS TO JOIN UTLA
- eSIGN THE UTLA NEW DIGITAL MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
We have teamed up with DocuSign, a leader in the industry to safeguard your eSignature process without having to fax, mail or hand-in your application.
UTLA eSIGN MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
- MANUALLY PRINT HARDCOPY APPLICATION
Download the PDF and fax, mail or give to your UTLA area representative or Chapter Chair.
UTLA PDF MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
- CONTRIBUTE TO PACE TO FUND POLITICAL ACTIONS
The union’s political action fund. This fund is critical to our ability to defend our pay, our benefits, and our contract from even more attacks, especially this year when we have to stop privatizers Antonio Villaraigosa in his tracks or Marshall Tuck from becoming California Superintendent of Public Instruction.
PACE PDF MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
UTLA Retired Membership Application
Even if you recently retired, you can still enjoy the benefits of collective bargaining by joining and becoming a member of our UTLA-R Committee. Stay connected to what is happening in bargaining, legal services, events and even your healthcare and pension news. Also enjoy reading the quarterly UTLA-R Newsletters.
Janus FAQs for Members
We are facing the most serious threats to public education and our profession that we have ever seen. Privatizers want to turn our schools into businesses and our jobs into temporary stops for people moving on to other careers.
Members & Educators
For our futures as educators we must stay united.
A strong union fights for the issues educators care about:
- Professional pay and secure healthcare and retirement
- Smaller class sizes and more staffing for our students
- Increasing school funding so we aren’t 46th in the nation
- Building the Schools LA Students Deserve to strengthen our communities and attract families
- Improving working and learning conditions and defending professional rights
- Working for social justice
A weakened union opens the door to:
- Attacks on pensions and healthcare
- Stagnant wages: LAUSD pays what it wants
- Increasingly aggressive privatization attacks
- No collective voice to address school issues or stand up for student learning
- Weakened political voice in critical elections and in Sacramento and D.C.
Parents & Community
We are the force working with parents for a better future for our students. Janus is an attack on our ability to fight for the Schools LA Students Deserve. Our union must stay strong to stand up for public education.
- The state has allowed our schools to languish, dropping to 46th in funding in the nation.
- The school district is not willing to fight for its fiscal health, allowing the unchecked expansion of charter operators to drain millions of dollars from neighborhood schools.
Attn: Membership Department
3303 Wilshire Blvd., 12th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90010