Area Chair Runoffs
Runoff Election is closed
April 18, 2017
Replacement ballots were mailed to homes on March 17, 2017. The deadline for requesting a replacement has passed.
Runoff Candidates & Areas
Elections for South and Valley East Area Chairs will go into the second round of voting and will be counted on April 18, 2017. Ballots must be the post office by 8 a.m., April 18, in order to be counted. Only these two areas will be voting. The deadline to call or submit the online Ballot Replacement Form was extended to 5 p.m., April 3.
Area chair runoff
Karen Ticer-Leon*# - Area Chair runoff
Maria Miranda*# - Area Chair runoff
Valley East Area
Area chair runoff
Victoria Casas* - Area Chair runoff
Scott Mandel* - Area Chair runoff
View Complete Election Results
Feb. 27, 2017
UTLA Elections Rules Correction
In early 2017, UTLA members will be electing the UTLA citywide officers and members of the UTLA Board of Directors. There is an important correction to the election rules as printed in the Oct. 21, 2016, UNITED TEACHER and posted online. The Election Committee has conferred with legal counsel and determined that the petition requirement for candidates conflicts with the UTLA Constitution. Candidates will not be required to submit petitions with their declaration of candidacy form to be eligible to run for office.
Deadline to file has passed
Declaration of Candidacy forms were due at the UTLA building on Dec. 5th by 5 p.m. along with the Preliminary Financial Disclosure Report.
A new election cycle began with the September 16th, 2016 announcement and timeline published in the United Teacher, which was followed by the publication on October 21st, 2016 that included the below forms and the election rules changes.
United Teacher Special Election Issue
Official Candidate List for UTLA BoD Positions (in ballot order)
CANDIDATE VIDEOS, FLYERS, STATEMENTS & PHOTOS
Click on candidate name below to view candidate flyer, video, statement and photo (only those who submitted these files can be viewed.) *NOTE: only Officer candidate positions include video.
Board of Directors by Area
Board of Director positions are based on the three NEA candidates and the one AFT candidate with the most votes. There are no run-offs.
Elections for Area Chairs, if needed, will be held during the Second Round.
# indicates the candidate is elected and is unopposed.
* indicates the candidate is also running for Area Chairperson.
L. Cynthia Matthews#
Valley East Area
Valley West Area
Philip H. Gross, MBA
Board of Directors Special Category
ADULT & OCCUPATIONAL EDUCATION
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES
United Teacher Publications
- Click here to view past United Teacher issues
- View or download 2014 Special Election Edition
Summary of Changes to Elections
Revisions to the election manual were approved by the UTLA Board of Directors in June 2016.
- Mailing of flyers: Candidate flyers will be posted on our website instead of being mailed to members' homes. Members will continue to receive the United Teacher special election issue with candidate statements and photos.
- Changes due to merger: Because of the Build the Future, Fund the Fight campaign, and the changes approved by UTLA members, all UTLA members now belong to both of our national affiliates, the NEA and the AFT, and will be eligible to vote for all Board member positions for their area and for all officer positions (previously, members could only vote in races connected with their affiliation; for example, an NEA member could not cast a ballot in the AFT vice presidential race). The affiliation distinction is still in place for candidates, however, candidates must have been a member of the affiliation for which they seek office for at least 12 months preceding the deadline for filing the intent to run form.
- Challenges: Only candidates can file challenges to elections and only for the office for which they are running.
A new election cycle began with the September 16th, 2016 announcement and timeline published in the United Teacher, which was followed by the publication on October 21st, 2016 that included the following forms for UTLA election candidates:
All UTLA Election-Related Forms
Itinerant Chapter Assignments
Itinerant Assignments FormDownload
List of Official Candidates for Office
Final Candidate Financial Disclosure Form
BoD Statement & Photo Template
Candidate Guidelines for Statement & Photo
Political Election Committee Registration Form
Political Committee Registration FormDownload
Updated 2016-17 Election Manual
UTLA Constitution & Bylaws
Article IV - Board of Directors
Section 3 - Elections and Terms of Office:
a. Nominations for Area Directors shall be by presentation of a signed statement declaring their intention to run. (amended June 2, 1976)
b. The immediate past President shall serve a term of two (2) years commencing with his/her leaving the office of President.
c. The directors elected by children's center teacher, Auxiliary Services, substitutes, and adult education teachers shall be nominated upon presentation of a signed statement declaring their intention to run. (amended October 22, 1975) (Section amended February 13, 1974)
For more information on qualifications, see the UTLA Constitution & Bylaws.
Contact the Elections Committee
All election inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. These emails are not handled by the webmaster.
All election material is the sole responsibility of the Elections Committee, which enforces election rules passed by the UTLA Board of Directors and is not the role of UTLA staff.