RETIRED & STRIKING FOR JUSTICE
Above, UTLA-R Secretary and retired LAUSD teacher, Susie Chow, walks the line during the teachers' strike in January 2019 at Robert Hill Lane EL. Chow (in blue) also walked the line in '89.
Above, retired UTLA Elementary Vice President Mike Dreebin, his wife Monin, also a retired teacher, and their union dog Auchie at Mar Vista Elementary school during the strike in January 2019.
Stories from the line
Walked at Palms ES
Comparing 1989 to present I could not believe the momentous changes in how a strike is organized! The air literally shimmered with energy, rain and all! Congeniality all around. Fighting for justice and for education is exhilarating!
Walked at Eagle Rock EL & Rallies
I have been retired from Eagle Rock Elementary School for 8 years. I taught there for 34 years while my first two years were at Micheltorena Elementary. I walked the line in '89 and know that if we stand up and speak out "together" by walking out together then we will be heard.
Q: What were your experiences like?
A: Invigorating! Exciting! Carried my teacher strike poster in the Women's Day March.
CFT strike coverage series
SIX DAYS THAT SHOOK LOS ANGELES – PART 3
By Steve Weingarten, CFT Reporter | cft.org
During the strike, hundreds of retired L.A. teachers returned to their former schools to continue the fight for public education. One veteran of the two previous strikes said back then UTLA was up against an intransigent district, but didn’t have to face billionaires and unrestrained charter school growth.
John Perez cut his union teeth when he was 23 years old. It was 1970 and Perez was a probationary teacher at Roosevelt High when a fledgling United Teachers Los Angeles shut down L.A. Unified schools for 23 days.
ABOUT THE COMMITTEE
This UTLA-R committee serves as the representative body for those certificated employees of LAUSD who have retired. They:
- Work through UTLA to improve the welfare of public education and retired teachers.
- Secure for retired teachers their deserved status among America's professionals.
- Provide a vehicle for unified action in concert with other organizations to represent and monitor concerns of retired teachers.
Special Election for one (1) UTLA-Retired Steering Committee Member for Unexpired Term Ending in June 30, 2021. Date of Election is January 17, 2020 at the UTLA-R General Assembly. Download and use the Candidate’s Packet of materials and forms to run for office.
Meetings at a Glance
Steering Committee meets during the day before the House
The UTLA-R Steering Committee meets the same day as the UTLA House of Representatives at 1:30 p.m. in Room 816.
UTLA-R General Assembly
The UTLA-R General Assembly meets four Friday mornings each year in the second floor auditorium of the UTLA Building.
UTLA-Retired Member Benefits
Membership in UTLA-R brings you continued:
- Mailing of the monthly United Teacher newspaper,
- Benefits from your UTLA Membership Card,
- Representation in the UTLA Board of Directors and the UTLA House of Representatives, and
- Participation in UTLA-R elections and activities, political representation in Sacramento, and additional benefits.
There are also four UTLA-R General Assembly meetings each year for members to get updates and information on Health Benefits, STRS, and other important issues.
UTLA membership does not automatically continue into retirement. If you have not already done so, you should join UTLA-Retired at the very nominal investment of $2.38 per month deducted from your STRS pension.
Attn: Membership Department
3303 Wilshire Blvd., 12th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Membership Phone: 800.556.8852
Membership Fax: 213.637.5161
If you do not already receive UTLA-R News updates, please send an email to Bruce Lee at email@example.com.
Also, look for the Retirees' Corner column in the United Teacher United Teacher Newspaper
Contact UTLA-R Committee
Our officers and other Steering Committee members are unpaid and elected by the membership to represent you. Their job is to act on your concerns on the will of the membership. They are dedicated to improving retiree health benefits, protecting and improving state benefits and promoting the welfare of UTLA retirees.
- President: John Perez, Vpapabear46@aol.com
- Vice President: Cecelia Boskin, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary: Susie Chow, email@example.com
- Treasurer: Mike Dreebin, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Past President: Loretta Toggenburger
Additional UTLA-R Volunteers (not on UTLA-R Steering Committee)
- UTLA-R Email Messenger: Bruce Lee, email@example.com
- Historian: Iris Edinger
- General Assembly Meeting Refreshment Coordinator: Tomas Junge