June 18, 2021News
UTLA members have overwhelmingly approved the sideletter agreement with LAUSD on a physical return for the 2021-2022 school year. Over three days of voting from June 15 through 17 conducted by Integrity Voting Systems, 12,193 ballots were cast, with 94% Yes ballots (11,485 ballots) and 6% No (708).
The agreement maintains necessary enforceable COVID safety protocols, along with some important improvements to working conditions, including:
• No displacement of any UTLA-represented staff for the 2021-2022 school year.
• Stabilization of Special Education programs.
• A stipend for general education teachers at elementary schools when a combo class can’t be avoided.
• Expanded online-only independent study program for students unable to return
• Permanent increase of training rate from $25 to $50
The current UTLA/LAUSD 2019-22 Collective Bargaining Agreement remains in full effect except for the provisions in this sideletter.
The sideletter agreement is effective June 23, which means that health and safety measures are in place for summer school, Early Education Centers, and itinerants on various schedules.
As stipulated in the agreement, UTLA and LAUSD will begin bargaining over the summer on salary and other working conditions. Look for email updates on bargaining as it progresses.