UTLA members have overwhelmingly approved the sideletter agreement with LAUSD on a physical return for the 2021-2022 school year. Over three days of voting from June 15 through 17 conducted by Integrity Voting Systems, 12,193 ballots were cast, with 94% Yes ballots (11,485 ballots) and 6% No (708).
The agreement maintains necessary enforceable COVID safety protocols, along with some important improvements to working conditions, including:
• No displacement of any UTLA-represented staff for the 2021-2022 school year.
• Stabilization of Special Education programs.
• A stipend for general education teachers at elementary schools when a combo class can’t be avoided.
• Expanded online-only independent study program for students unable to return
• Permanent increase of training rate from $25 to $50
The current UTLA/LAUSD 2019-22 Collective Bargaining Agreement remains in full effect except for the provisions in this sideletter.
The sideletter agreement is effective June 23, which means that health and safety measures are in place for summer school, Early Education Centers, and itinerants on various schedules.
As stipulated in the agreement, UTLA and LAUSD will begin bargaining over the summer on salary and other working conditions. Look for email updates on bargaining as it progresses.
We have reached a tentative agreement with LAUSD on safety protocols and other conditions for the full physical reopening of schools for the 2021-2022 school year. The agreement, which is subject to ratification by UTLA members, would be effective beginning June 23.
Among other provisions, the agreement includes maintaining many of the enforceable COVID protocols from the current hybrid agreement, stopping the displacement of any UTLA-represented staff, limiting combo classes, and an agreement to begin the process for 2021-2022 reopener negotiations on salary and additional items. The UTLA Board of Directors endorses a YES vote on the agreement. The full text of the agreement and a summary are linked below.
A Tentative Agreement ratification vote is scheduled from 8:00 am Tuesday, June 15 through 5:00 pm Thursday, June 17. The ballot question will read as follows:.
Do you vote to approve the UTLA bargaining agreement for a safe return to traditional instruction for the 2021-2022 school year?
A YES vote approves the agreement and will allow us to hold the district accountable for the enforceable safety protocols and other provisions enumerated in the agreement.
A NO vote means we don’t have an agreement with the district and it would allow them to unilaterally determine the conditions for the full physical reopening of the 2021-2022 school year, without enforceable safety conditions in place and without the other provisions negotiated in the agreement.
Instructions for Voting
The vote will be handled by Integrity Voting. All UTLA members as of June 11 who have a non-LAUSD email on file at UTLA will receive an email from Integrity with a PIN and instructions for voting. The link to vote will not be active until Tuesday, June 15 at 8:00 am.
If you do not receive an email to vote, read the information below and follow the steps to resolve any issues:
If you were a UTLA member as of June 11 and do not get an email:
- Make sure you have a non-LAUSD email on file at UTLA. Integrity will not email voting PINs to LAUSD emails. If you do not have a non-LAUSD email on file, go to #4 below.
- If you had given a non-LAUSD email to UTLA, wait until 10:00 am Tuesday morning for your voting PIN. The Integrity emails are going out in stages and your email might still arrive later on Tuesday morning.
- Check your spam/junk folder. The email is from Integrity Voting Systems. Check other email accounts you may have, in case that is the email address we have on file for you.
- If you still have not found your Integrity email, contact them at this link https://www.ivsballot.com/utla (this link will not be active until 8:00 am Tuesday morning) and follow the directions. You will be asked to click the Find My PIN link, enter your Employee Number and the last 4 digits of your Social Security number. You will then be able to vote.
If you were not a UTLA member as of June 11 you will not be able to participate in this vote.
Questions regarding membership or eligibility to vote should be directed to UTLA at https://www.utla.net/resources/replacement-online-ballots-webform